Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Unplanned Yarn Acquisition

I mean, honestly, I didn't go to Spain with the plan to get more yarn.  I didn't even actually go to a yarn store. Shocking, I know. But I still ended up with 3 bags of yarn.

Okay, so the story is that when we go to Spain we always rent a house for a week or two.  This time we rented a house owned by a Belgian couple who relocated to Spain about 20 years ago. They were both very sweet.  Turns out the lady, Mieke,  used to be a knitter.  She showed me just a few of the sweaters she had made over the years... holy crap. She was a prolific knitter and her seaming was invisible, amazing.  *Swoon* And for every sweater she had a matching shawl/scarf. They looked a bit like scarves but much larger.  For you who caught the usage of past tense, yes she WAS a knitter.  I didn't know that there was a way back once we entered this life. But she had to stop knitting because of a racing heart and apparently she would stress herself out when knitting and go very quickly.  (This was gathered from the English/Dutch mix that we were using, so I'm almost sure that's what she meant.) She is now back into painting, and again is a prolific painter.

So, she gave me a whole bunch of yarn that she had just sitting in Spain.  About 40 balls of yarn. And a cone of yarn, I've always wanted one of these.  The coned yarn (which she had a whole bunch more of in Belgium) she got when a factory (I think it was clothing, but again... language barriers and all that) in  Brugge closed.

I'm still going through the yarn. So much yarn. Mostly lace and fingering weights.


No comments:

Post a Comment